“Microsoft Document Image Writer” feature is not installed by default when you run Office 2007 setup. So in order to open and view or print the MDI files with Office 2007 you will need to install it.
- Go to Control Panel, select “Uninstall a program” link under Programs section.” (Add/Remove Programs in XP)
- Highlight Microsoft Office 2007 (it may show Ultimate, Enterprise, Professional, Small Business, Home and Student, etc).
- Click on “Change” located on the navigation link near the top of the window.
- Select “Add or Remove Features”, then click “Continue”.
- Expand “Office Tools” section.
- Click on the drop down list for “Microsoft Office Document Imaging” and select “Run all from My Computer”.
- Click “Continue”.
- Click “Close” when installation done.
You will need to go to Printers and Faxes via the Control Panel if it’s not displayed on your Start Menu and right click on “Microsoft Office Document Imaging Writer” and click on Properties. Next click on Printing Preferences button and then the Advanced Tab and set the Output format to MDI. (You can also set the Default folder location in that Tab)