Seems when I went to activate the license key for Office 2013 on a brand new system, I was getting an error message. Try again later. Which I know to mean, it isn’t going to activate automatically over the internet.
So the first thing I wanted to check was whether I typed the key in correctly. Typing isn’t really my strong suit. I found the following:
Changing the Product Key for Office 2010 or Office 2013 doesn’t require a trip to the Registry and can be done directly from the Control Panel or via a command line.
To change it via Control Panel, open the “Add/Remove Programs” applet (Windows XP) or the “Uninstall a Program” applet (Windows Vista or Windows 7). Locate your Office 2010/2013 application and press Change. Setup will now start with the option “Enter a Product Key” which allows you to enter a different product key.
You can also change the Product Key via the OSPP.VBS script. Instead of using the /dstatus switch, you must use the /inpkey:value switch where you should replace value for your Product Key. Here’s the VBS script for Office 2013 running on Windows 7 64 bit: cscript “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\OSPP.VBS” /dstatus
Unfortunately, the product key is correct, so my two options are to call DELL and ask why I have an invalid key or contact Microsoft. Neither option I look forward too.